Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Several weekends wrapped in to 1 blog






So I have been a slacker blogger and sometimes toy with the idea of just stopping. This apparently happens a lot based on all the blogs I read that my friends write and then just stop, I won't name any names. But I am just telling myself that this blog is my semi-personal diary and doesn't have to be well executed so I can write a little here and there without worrying about quality. I will pick up where I left off with my last blog. After my mom left town John and I had a weekend alone to relax and celebrate our anniversary before he went to KY for a week. I got a groupon for Catalina Ferry tickets and even though we weren't planning a trip to Catalina Island this year the groupon made it practical for a little day trip. So Friday night we had a nice dinner in San Clemente, I had a certificate for a free bottle of champagne for our anniversary and a nice little Italian restaurant in town so of course we couldn't pass it up. I ended up drinking way to much free champagne instead of enjoying the food but we had a very nice time. Also the leftovers were just as good and it was probably one of the best risottos I have ever had. Sat. morning we had to get up early to catch the ferry to Catalina, this was not very easy due to all the champagne the night before but we rallied. After we got to Catalina we started right off on a hike that take you to a hilltop on the island and you can see the ocean on both sides of the island. It was very pretty and also hot so we got in our first big sweat of the summer. The hike ended at the Wrigley Memorial, the Wrigley family originally owned the island, and there was a large cactus garden. We actually had fun exploring and taking pictures at both. Then we got lunch at the nicest restaurant in town and I have to say food is not the islands strong point. After lunch we didn't not wait the appropriate hour but instead rented some snorkeling gear to check out the kelp beds and fish off the island. I got to use my wetsuit for the second time and actually did really well snorkeling. As someone who prefers not to put my head under water I often toot my own horn whenever I enter the water. By the time we finished snorkeling we had just enough time to get an ice cream cone and then catch the ferry home. We were both so tired from our daytime activities that we just picked up food and relaxed. The next weekend John had to leave to go to KY so after I dropped him off at 6:30 AM at the airport I headed to LA to visit the Lee family. Kristy convinced me to go to the Chivas game that night and I was kind of looking forward to it since there was going to be a big fireworks show at the end. Keeping those kids up until 9 is a difficult situation though. We all know how kids and adults act when they start to get tired and me, Kristy, Braxton, and Bralon were ready for bed by the end of the game. But since we stuck it out that long we decided to watch the fireworks. As soon as the first firework went off Braxton had his own explosion. He went in to full meltdown mode. Kristy informed me that the same thing happened last year when they tried to watch the fireworks, I told her thanks for the warning. So we raced to the valet and had him hurry with the car because we had to get out of ear shot of the fireworks. As we were driving off Braxton started asking about the fireworks and why he couldn't see them anymore. Then he told us he liked fireworks. Kristy and I just laughed considering his meltdown 2 minutes earlier. Then he told us that the fireworks made him cry and he did not like them. After I got the Lee family back in the house I peeled it out of there. Luckily the pier in front of our house does a fireworks show so on Monday I got to sit on the roof and see a good display, without all the crying.
The next Sat. I had to go to LAX to pickup John at 8 PM. I thought I would go up a little early and hang out with the Lee's, Brian had an away game. Kristy informed me that I should be there by 9AM because we were going to get their pictures made. I don't know how she tricks me in to these things. Pictures went relatively smooth, other than a dirty diaper from Bralon and some trouble getting the right smile from Braxton. Both the kids did really well while I was there other than Braxton have a 2 hour temper tantrum but he worked through it. Bralon even let me hold him by his hands and walk him around, big progress for the anti-walker. Braxton is such a hoot to be around because he always has lots of information and instruction for me. I thought he had given up the chasing monsters game for Legos, which is much more relaxing to play, but he insisted on the monster games again. Kristy even fed me both weekends so I can tell she is trying to keep me coming back.
This last weekend was nice to have John back in town. We spent most of the weekend outdoors enjoying the beach and warm weather. We were excited because it was the ocean festival at the pier but found out after we looked at all the shows that basically the beach was so crowded we would have to go to another beach for John to surf and me lay out. What a tough life I know. Luckily there are an abundance of beach areas and we managed to get some sun. It was such a nice weekend it really felt like being on vacation. Next weekend we are heading camping in King's Canyon and Sequoia National Park.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there... loved seeing your blog! And I'm jealous y'all live on the coast! How fun. Thanks so much for your prayers... yes, it's been a crazy past 2 months - life can change so fast. But oh my, how awesome (and humbling) to know people are praying from all over the place.
    It seems like forever since those PwC days:-) I think about those every now and then and wonder how everybody on the 'Lexmark team' is doing. Thanks again so much!

    ReplyDelete