Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bad Blogger, bad blogger

So I got really busy at work and therefore my blogging suffered. There is probably a direct inverse correlation between my productivity at work and my productivity at blogging. But anyway the past couple of weekends have been pretty slow so you haven't missed much, other than the couple of 75-80 degree weekends we have had lately. It as been amazing. I was complaining about my tan fading and I guess the Lord likes me better tan because he blessed me with 2 great beach weekends. In my world nothing is coincidental everything is a direct blessing from God, that is just how I like to look at it. It can be a good parking spot or extra income, it doesn't matter the size I just like to imagine it is my friend Jesus looking out for me, I don't think that is wrong, just good fun.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago on one of these beautiful 80 degree days we spent our Sat. painting our neighbor's, the sober living house, trim work. We started this project in Oct. with our church's serve San Clemente day but we got rained out before we could finish and we finally wrapped the project up in Jan. There were just a couple of us this time but we got a lot done and mainly thanks to the hard work of John, David (from our home group), and Eric (the painting expert and leader). During the painting project John and Eric set up a surfing date for the next day. So on Sunday I headed down to beach and got settled in for the afternoon when John called and said that Eric was bringing his wife and daughter surfing so I would have to go with them now. After first I was a little bummed because I thought great I will be sitting there with this guy's wife who I have never met and teenage daughter what will we talk about. This is a big insecurity of mine being in situation with new people and not knowing what to talk about or will they like me. But I said this is the Lord challenging me to get over these insecurities so suck it up. Anyway we all rode over to Trestles, my first time at this surf spot and you have to walk down a long trail to get there. We talked a lot on the ride over and down the trail and I found out that I actually have a lot in common with Eric's wife, his daughter didn't end up coming. I guess I just assumed that I would have a limited amount of things to discuss with someone older than me with teenage kids but I was being age biased. They love the outdoors and see we had lots of hiking adventures to compare. His wife surfs too so I just hung out on the beach on my own taking pictures, which was fine with me.
That weekend I also stepped out of my bubble and went with a friend to a women's connect coffee that our church was having. I had to laugh when I walked in because if it were not for my friend and me the average age would have been around 50. Most women were grandmothers but it was fine because I just was scouting potential babysitters. Also a lot of the women were talking about how they have gotten in to stand up paddle boarding and it was cool to think of how you are very to old to pick up cool new hobbies. I think I really overcame some age bias that weekend and some insecurities of my own.
The point is that since we have actually been in town the past couple of weekends I have been able to enjoy the company of several people I don't get to see when we are always out of town and met several new people. Relationship/Friendships really do take a time commitment and when you get older that only gets harder but I feel like the benefits are definitely worth any sacrifices involved. Just because get older doesn't mean you don't get those nervous feelings meeting new people (like your first day of lunch at a new school). But I think it helps a lot to realize that the people you are seeking to connect with are probably seeking the same thing. That has probably been one of my biggest growths since moving to Cali because before I was already in a lot of comfortable friendships that didn't require much work but new friendships require a little extra effort and courage. I think like a home cooked meal though everything is more satisfying when a little extra work goes in to it. But maybe I am just really lucky to have found so many women here that I connect with and think will be life long friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment