Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of July and fireworks





So it was the weekend of our independence day celebration and basically this means fireworks. Like most holidays we forget the bigger meaning and just stuff our faces with food, enjoy time off from work, and try to attend fun activities. This year John and I had high hopes for the 4th because we heard it was quite the party around town. Because my job is so cool and is very busy the first week of every month, I didn't get to take our 2 company wide holidays. But my boss was quick to point out that at least we didn't have to work on the actual 4th, awesome. We get to use the days later but that kind of sucks because I want to be off the same days at John, boo. Anyway, Friday we were both beat and wanted to take it easy so we walked to the closest Chinese place (we haven't been there yet and have done good with our pledge not to eat the same place twice) and it was delicious. We were sound asleep shortly after. Sat. John wanted us to wake up early and then lay in bed and watch TV but come Sat. he decided he didn't want to get up very early. We had a free coupon for breakfast on the pier so we walked down and split a large breakfast. Not very delicious but it was free. The sun came out which is nice because from what everyone tells me this is the cloudiest weather they have ever had here. I think they feel I brought it with me. It could be true since they had records lows this week. But it was a gorgeous beach day and I got some sun while John surfed. I overheard two girls asking the lifeguard what kind of animals were in the water and hold told them they were dolphins. I got very excited and sure enough there were a few dolphins swimming near the surfers right off the beach. John said he has seen them before but I have only seen them one time when we were on the ferry. The played out there pretty much all afternoon, I think one might have smiled at me. That night John went to go watch a fight on TV at the bar with friends and then I picked him up later for dinner. We tried a new Mexican place that was also good. John is disturbed by the fact that Mexican restaurants here don't have queso dip (white cheese dip) like Puerto at home. This night ended like most where I let John fall asleep on the couch and I enjoy the bed to myself until he wanders in in the middle of the night.
Sunday was the big 4th of July. A couple different things happen around the area and since we are new we have to check them all out. I started the day out with leftover Chinese for breakfast so that is a good morning. Not for John since he was mad I ate all the leftovers. First we checked out the office chair race on a hill near our house. These aren't really office chairs though they are all kinds of homemade wheeled devices. I will post some pictures soon. We didn't see anyone get injured but I was so scared watching, these people are not in their right mind. Then we rode our bikes 10 miles to Dana Point Harbor and watched the annual water wars. This is when people get in little boats or kayaks and go around the harbor squirting each other with water guns. One of John's coworkers has a boat in the harbor (their mom's) and offered to let us use their kayak but if you know me then you know getting shot at with water in a kayak in the ocean is not something I am interested in. Unfortunately for John that meant he didn't get to go because he knew better than to awkwardly leave me with a group of strangers while kayaked around the harbor. I don't know if the ride was worth just seeing the water show but we made up for it by eating a huge meal. We tried some very greasy fish and chips and it hit the spot. Followed by a huge cone of ice cream that made me so full I almost hurled. Then we were forced to do our 10 miles back home. This little exercise made me gain a couple pounds and have a sore bum. We then had to get ready to grill out and watch some fireworks. We had kabobs, brawts, sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, and brownies. Once again I was super full so we walked down to the beach for the big show. Luckily a friend had been down there all day holding a spot with her family so we just sat in there spot. I brought them some brownies for their hard work. The show would have been perfect if we had been on the other side of the pier. Unfortunately the way the wind was blowing all the smoke from the fire works gathered in front of us and hung there, pretty much blocking our view of the show. Luckily we could stare down the beach to Dana Point and see their impressive show. Since I had to work the next day I pretty much went to bed right after the show. That was our first 4th in Cali, hopefully not the last.
On a side note I just tried a new type of chip at work, we have a snack cube that gets stocked with Costco treats every couple months. They are called popchips, you can look them up at popchips.com. Unfortunately they don't carry them in KY but they were so good I would recommend ordering them. They are also very healthy and natural but taste bad for you. Do you ever feel like the label on food is lying to you sometimes and there is no way something could be that good for you. Sometimes I feel like waitress at restaurants give me real coke instead of diet coke just to fatten me up, I have issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment