It is time to recount the tales of our latest visitor. John's sister Amy flew in from WY for the long president's day weekend. John picked up Amy on Sat. morning and the only thing on his mind was all the places we should eat while she is here. They got to the apt. and threw down the bags and then we were off to explore. We checked out downtown and some of the shops even though John doesn't really want anyone to go in a store and shop. Then we went to La Tiendita for our favorite Mexican treats. Not only does John like to plan out where we should eat he also has very strong opinions on what everyone should order. I have been trying to eat a little healthier lately and that is not part of John's ordering plan. John and his sister went for a bike ride that afternoon to explore some more, luckily we only have 2 bikes so I got to skip that part. Bike riding is not my strong suit. We went to sushi that night and found out we like the opposite kind of sushi as Amy. She likes raw fish, which makes sense with sushi, but John and I like shellfish type sushi that is usually baked or tempura. One day maybe John and I will advance but I usually want to gag when I eat a big hunk of raw tuna. I think between the beer and like 6 different rolls we were all satisfied though. You can tell we are all getting older because our wild end to the night was getting yogurt and hitting the sack at 10:30.
The weekend Amy was here was sunny for the most part but below normal temps, so it was a little cold for the beach. It was also very cold to try surfing. But since Amy brought her wetsuit and had a rare surfing opportunity, John had to get her out in the ocean. The waves were choppier than I had ever seen them so I didn't have a great feeling about it but they looked cute heading in to the water. After about 5 minutes Amy came out of the water looking beaten. Her face said she was ready to stop but John wouldn't stand for it. They changed their approach the second time out and it resulted in almost a total stand up on the board. It was at least a crouched surf, which is a win in my book. That night we had a cookout with a few of John's coworkers and smoked a mass amount of food. We got lots of good produce at the farmers market that morning and Amy made a delicious bruschetta appetizer. Then we smoked brisket, ribs, chicken, and corn on the cob. We also had sweet potato fries, broccoli salad, candy popcorn, and cookies. After eating all that food what can you do but fall asleep on the couch, we are a crazy bunch.
Monday was a holiday for Amy and I and John took the day off work. Keep in mind John hates his job because he has to get up at 5:45 in the morning, but what does he do on him day off, get up at 6. I couldn't believe he was waking me up at 6 AM. The morning before he made us a huge breakfast but this morning he was dragging me out of bed for a trip to the bagel shack. It is so funny how alike John and Amy are. It was like I was living with 2 John's. They think alike and enjoy the same things. They are both totally indecisive, so we spent most of the morning debating whether they should surf first or bike first. After a lengthy debate we had another surfing session. The cold morning made for a short surfing trip, which I appreciated since I was freezing on the beach watching. While they enjoyed a bike ride I had to run errands and bake like 75 mini cupcakes. We rounded out the trip with dinner at our favorite spot, Sonny's. We made a good decision and only ordered two entrees and a big salad to split. Their food is so rich and cheesy you can only handle so much.
I dropped Amy off at the airport on Tuesday before I headed in to work and that was the end of another visitor vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment