Monday, April 18, 2011

Sewage hike




Trying to get the sewage off my shoe

I was very unamused by the hike at this point

I just saw some pictures that reminded me of a blog I wanted to write. It is about the time John took me on this amazing hike threw the sewer. John told me that he wanted us to ride our bikes to this trail he had discovered one day. He had described it to me vaguely before but sounded amazed that he had discovered this special secret spot. I know John views things/experiences different than me sometimes so I knew that he was probably building this up more than it deserved. He is amazed at things that I sometimes find totally unimpressive but little did I know how differently we viewed sewage. We ride our bikes in to this neighborhood at the top of a hill and then hide them off the street so we can begin this journey. John keeps reminding me that he has found this amazing trail and how it is a hidden gem. The first part is going OK and then we reach our first stop. I quickly realize that this hidden area he discovered is someones back yard where they have various garden fountains and a gazebo. So like a normal person I now just feel like I am trespassing and want to get out of there. John has me pose for a few pictures before we move on to the next stop. Next we come to a hidden rope swing, you will not see any pictures of me on this because I refused. Then the real journey starts. John tells me to follow him down this trail that will lead us to the ocean. Keep in mind John and I live beside the ocean and can walk down one perfectly nice paved street to get to it, I have no need for a hidden trail. So things are a little muddy but someone else who knows of this hidden trail has placed boards down so you can avoid most of the mud. Then I notice that some of the mud has a blue tinted water and there is an increasing abundance of nats around the water. I then inform John that I have no interest in hiking threw the sewage to get to the ocean but he says we are close and to keep going. At some point in this "hike" I step in the wrong spot and cover my running shoes in a nice layer of sewage water. John went a little ahead of me and apparently realized that unless I was willing to step in more sewage we might not be able to make it. At this time I refused to go any further, covered my face to prevent breathing in any more of the sewage smell and made a cautious exit. This hike made me realize that maybe John doesn't know me as well as I thought. He seriously believed that I would enjoy and hike through this sewage trail, really. Anyway, I have posted some pics for your enjoyment as you imagine me on this hike.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! I read the last part of your blog to Uncle Robert and I was laughing through it all! I love reading your entries, and I had the opportunity to read several tonight. Thanks for posting and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete