Monday, November 8, 2010

Basketball, hiking, and eating oh my!


A great sunset

John's newly discovered sunset watching spot

This is not a flattering camera angle

So last week was kind of busy at work and therefore I was blogless. This week is going to be slow so maybe I will make up for it by writing 2 blogs. First I have to report on going to my first NBA game. John and I have some tickets to the LA Clippers this season. You read correctly we are not going to the LA Lakers but to the LA Clippers games. I didn’t even realize until like 2 years ago that LA had two teams, who knew. Anyway, the clippers would be considered the red headed step-child of LA and therefore you can get tickets much cheaper than the Lakers. Since both teams play at the Staples Center I was able to take lots of cool Lakers pictures but unfortunately none of Kobe. After an eventful time getting to LA, have I mentioned John and I do not do well in the car together, we made it in to the arena with 10 minutes to spare. We needed to get our game food fast since the game was about to start so we were stuck getting food from a place on our level which did not have good choices. I ended up with a boring McDonalds chicken sandwich. During halftime we did a more thorough sweep of the building and found better places to eat next time. Also during half time we acquired a funnel cake with caramel dipping sauce, what a great idea. I am a stickler for the rules but John convinced me that we needed to sneak in to some lower level seats. They are very strict with their ticket checking but we waited for the lady monitoring the row we wanted to get distracted and then made a break for it. Once we got to the seats I was full of nerves about getting caught. I didn’t want to experience the shame of the ticket lady telling us that we didn’t belong there and everyone looking at us. John convinced me to relax and enjoy the game while we could. He was right, the game is much more exciting like 6 rows up versus like 300 rows up. I really got in to it and it flew by. I especially enjoyed the fan that would heckle the other team and make a real scene. For a minute it looked like the clippers might win but then they fell apart. John informed me that if I was going to root for the Clippers I should get ready for lots of disappointment. They also have a player that got drafted from UK last year and he didn’t play any at our game but due to some injuries he is now playing more and that should make things more interesting. John knows extreme amounts of basketball knowledge and would tell me facts about all the players and if they had any connection to UK or a team that had played against UK. As useless as the information is I am very impressed by the mass of knowledge. We didn’t get home until like 11:30 so that is a really wild weeknight for us.
That weekend we just wanted to stay at home and be lazy since we seem to be going non-stop lately. It was great, very full of laziness. John found a new little grassy spot that he took me to so we could watch the sunset on Friday. I would just assume sit on the beach but he enjoyed the grass, so I will pretend to enjoy it as well. We ordered some carry out and just relaxed. Since I am giving my body a rest from running for awhile I have been enjoying great walks on the beach. Just barefoot walks along the water with great music and weather. John even went on one with me and he hates walking.
This weekend we were also pretty lazy, which for us means no road trips or big get togethers. Friday my boss let me off early so I went to the beach and watched John surf after work, it was perfect weather all weekend. It was so hot all week that the cool air felt good but it did make it a little chilly for laying out, I managed to get about an hour in though. Sat. we made a trip to San Diego to go hiking. We climbed the tallest mountain in the city of San Diego, Mt. Cowles. The main reason we picked this mountain was because John wanted to eat at the Hash House in San Diego. He had been dreaming of it since seeing it on Man vs. Food on the travel channel. It definitely didn’t disappoint. We ordered a dish that was based off of eggs benedict. It was a layer of mashed potatoes, then fried chicken, then scrambled eggs topped with bacon, spinach, tomato, cheese, biscuit, and cream sauce. Did I mention we also ordered a almond butterscotch flapjack the size of house. By the time we got back to San Clemente I was ready for a nap. Instead I made a brownie dessert for a friend's birthday, I was so full though that I couldn’t even enjoy licking the bowl. We also got really crazy and stayed up until the 10 PM movie and went to saw Due Date which was pretty funny. Not Hangover funny but pretty close and Robert Downey Jr is always a plus.
Sunday was beautiful weather and I overheard a lady at the farmers market describing it as a stellar day. Only in California do I hear these terms. I think Nov. has been some of my favorite weather so far. We even remembered the time change and didn’t show up at the wrong time to church. John then twisted my arm, not really, to going to our favorite burrito place and getting a monster burrito. We split it but that didn’t make it feel any healthier. It also explains why I wanted to cry this morning because my pants are getting to tight. Why do I have to love good food so much? What a curse, just kidding, but I am not kidding that my pants don’t fit. That is not good going in to the holidays. I guess I will have to wear more skirts for awhile because those can accommodate a growing waistline. John said he has also gone up a belt notch so maybe he will want to start eating healthy with me. We start a diet every Monday morning and are usually off the wagon by Monday night.
We got free tickets to the Duck’s Hockey game this Friday so I will be able to write about my first professional hockey game. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment