Monday, November 29, 2010

Social butterfly




So a couple weeks have gone by since my last blog so I told myself to get down to business. How will your few faithful readers know what you have been doing with your weekends if you don't tell them. They will just keep anxiously checking my blog and screaming because they haven't been able to read the latest thing I ate or saw. I am going to back track to a couple of weeks ago because I was proud of myself for having a very social weekend. Meeting new people is not something I would get an A+ in so any small steps on my part should be rewarded with positive self praise. On Friday night John and I got tickets from work to go see the Ducks hockey game in Anaheim. I have never been to a hockey game and figured I would find it as interesting as any sport I try to avoid watching. I was pleasantly surprised and actually enjoyed it more than most sports. It was pretty cold in the building though, I guess that is to be expected with all the ice. You might be wondering how this makes me a social butterfly. Well, my boss (who is only a couple years older than me) suggested we meet up with her and her husband for drinks before the game. Of course I agreed because I like her and because I thought it would help John and I get to know another couple in this great state. John didn't seem overly enthusiastic about making conversations with strangers but after I gave him a convincing speech about making new friends he had no choice but to agree. Traffic was a nightmare after work trying to get to the game so we didn't think we were going to be able to meet up but luckily we had like 20 minutes to spare and we tracked down our "double date." It wasn't uncomfortable which was nice and John actually really liked my bosses husband. Since they live like 30 min. north of us it is not like we will get together very often but it is nice to know that we will have someone to pal around with at any work functions. I will also add them to our BBQ list next time we are having a crowd, which is rare these days.
The next night I was invited to a girls night by my one friend left in the apartment building. Did I mention she is moving back to Georgia in 2 weeks. You can do the math but 1 friend minus 1 friend, doesn't work out well for me. Anyway, this night involved me driving by myself to her friends house and walking in to the house full of strangers to locate the one person I knew. I sat in the car once I got there and called John to confirm that I could do this and then I forced myself inside. I used my super social voice and expressions and tried really hard to remember every one's names. Luckily it was a mixed crowd so not everyone was best friends and they were mainly moms out for the night and drinking heavily. I chose to stay sober so I could drive myself to the next location so that at any time I could cut out. Sobriety can make being really social more difficult but I am a grown up right. The house that we were at was about 20 minutes north of my house and every time someone suggested a bar to go to I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't be farther north. Luckily after much debate we headed south a little closer to my house. Then that bar was to crowded so that debate began again and I held my breathe about where we would end up next. I was mentally preparing an excuse for why I couldn't go north again. Fate saw fit to put us at a bar right in San Clemente about a mile from my house. What are the odds, a bar in San Clemente, this was great. This place turned out to be a lot of fun with a DJ and dancing. Since we were so close to my house I was also able to have a cocktail and then join in on the dancing. John went to the bar with his friends that night and we got home around the same time and both feel asleep on the couch. All in all I thought I definitely deserved a star for my 2 social outings with new people. I still don't have any friends I am ready to slumber party with but I did step out of my comfort zone (which is pretty small).
My parents were coming to see my from Mon. to Wed. so I had to spend Sunday cleaning things up. It was Herman's first visit and I think he found plenty of people to chat with and trails to walk on which are his main requirements. It was nice to have visitors even if we didn't get to hang out a lot. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment