Tuesday, September 7, 2010

KY and AZ all in 2 weeks






So I am about 2 weekends behind on my blog so I will try to get caught up today. 2 weekends ago was Katie and Ben’s wedding. I got to BG about midnight Thursday and was on the road at 8 AM Friday headed to Lexington. The weekend was so great. We had bridal lunches, rehearsal dinners, post rehearsal drinks, a slumber party at Morgan’s, wedding day prep at Katie’s, lunch at Cheddars, a super fun wedding and then back in BG Sunday for a belated birthday lunch and then on the road back to the airport Sunday by 3. All in all it the weekend was jam packed a flew by. There are so many funny memories with great friends and family from the weekend and since most of the people that read the blog were there and since some of the stories aren’t appropriate for all readers I am going to end the summary of that weekend by saying congrats to Katie and Ben!
It took me a few days to get fully recovered from the wedding weekend and then we had to start getting ready for our labor day weekend trip to Lake Havasu. John’s coworker Andy had invited us to go to a lake house that his girlfriend and her coworkers were renting. John doesn’t like to say no so we were locked in for a weekend with strangers. Since everyone we have met here moves away or breaks up we have to keep refreshing our friend pool so we decided that this trip would be good for us. Little do these other couples know we are probably jinxing their relationship by being there. We left after work Friday and with traffic it took about 6 hours to get there. I should also mention that Andy’s girlfriend’s sister needed to ride with us so that gave us some serious getting to know you time. We got to Havasu about midnight and everyone else had been celebrating for several hours so it was a wild scene. It made it easier to break down any awkward stranger barriers because everyone was very friendly. All the girls were super nice. Since it is the hottest place on earth and only gets down to about 90 degrees at night we got in the pool when we got there. While in the pool someone pointed out that John and I were the only white people there. I have to say this is the only time I have been the minority in a group. Most people there spoke Spanish and sometimes they would play all Spanish speaking songs and I would think how weird it is that everyone but me knew what the song was saying right now. There were other times that they would get really excited and start speaking Spanish to each other. The only way John and I would have known they were talking about us is if we heard our names. Since we were kind of the least known guests there wasn’t any pressure for us to plan or organize anything which was a nice change for me. They cooked breakfast and a big Mexican meal Sat. night.
There were too many people for the boat they rented Sat. so Andy, his girlfriend, her sister, John and I went to a public beach to hang out in the water for the day. I am not exaggerating when I say this is the hottest place I have ever been. It was 118 degrees on Sat. Since John and I weren’t on a boat we decided to rent a jet ski for an hour which I normally never do but I was obviously feeling adventurous this weekend. So we spent $80 for 1 hour, 40 min. of that was spent idling in and out of the no wake zone. I am also pretty sure that the lake was more choppy than the ocean but at least we can say we jet skied around Lake Havasu. I will say Lake Havasu is really cool, it is just a huge lake in the middle of the desert surround by cool mountains. During our trip to rent the jet ski we got to see some interesting people. Our little beach were we ate lunch and hung out that day wasn’t in the middle of the action. Everyone hangs out near the London Bridge which is the actual bridge from London that some rich guy relocated to Lake Havasu. I am not sure why since Havasu doesn’t scream culture. During the rental process we were in line behind an older heavy set woman with no bathing suit top just big star stickers over her nips. This would have been disturbing enough but then she asked her daughter how old she was and we turned to see her 13 year old daughter was also topless with star stickers. I felt like I should call child services but it was too hot. During our no wake trip out to the main lake area we saw many topless thong clad women, I am sure John was as appalled as I was. We also got shot in the head with water guns from people in their boats along the channel, I am sure it was funnier to them than it was to me. At all times you wanted to be in the water or you thought you might melt. Even on the jet ski the air was so hot you almost couldn’t breathe.
Please note in the pictures above that John and Andy found a mummy halloween dummy in the garage of the rented house and decided to spend the night taking pictures with him. Oh what boredom and alcohol will do.
We planned on coming back Sunday night because we heard traffic would be a nightmare on Mon. and John wanted a day to relax before going back to work. By Sun. at noon the heat was so strong we decided to head back to our jacket weather at home. Sunday night we picked up some big burgers and zucchini fries and then relaxed on the couch. Monday we got things ready for our company coming this weekend, which involved me throwing out clutter and rearranging. Then we went to a movie. John and I snuck in chili cheese dogs to go with our popcorn and you can imagine how those smelled in a small theater, probably not the best choice. During the previews my 20 oz coke fell over and rolled away so I had a tiny cup of water to go with our food. I tried to look for it at first but I didn’t want to keep drawing attention to us because I didn’t want to get busted with all of our food. Even after the movie we tried to find it and never could locate it.
During the weekend we had left the Alero parked at my work and so on Mon. night John dropped me off to workout at the gym at work and I had to drive the Alero home. When I opened the door to get in I noticed there was a colony of ants occupying the driver’s side of the car. I spent about 20 min. killing ants before I finally got in and then during the drive I had to kill one ant on my arm. I jumped in the shower as soon as I got home because I felt covered in ants. That night John made us a great dinner and we relaxed before John had to get to sleep for his 9:30 bedtime.
On Sat. our first friend guests will arrive and we are super excited. John has already started planning all the places we will take them to eat. So our food research is totally for the benefit of our guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment