Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Our first friend visitors






So I spent most of last week being slowly killed by a stomach bug. I have never big sick like this before or for such a long period of time but I will spare you the exact details. We had John’s best bud Eric and his wife Alina coming to visit Saturday thru Sat. so I really needed to get my act together. I am proud to report that as of Monday I have finally started to recover and only had to miss a couple days that weekend of good eating and a couple days of work. It didn’t stop me from cooking for everyone else though.
John was very cute and bought fresh flowers for their room and got us to the airport early so we wouldn’t chance being late. He also planned everything we would eat during their visit so Sat. we stopped by the Burger Stop drive thru to get lunch on the way home from the airport. Their specialties are chili cheese dogs that are fried and fried zucchini sticks, so John ordered for us and that is what we all ate. Well I didn’t get to eat it and my chicken and rice soup wasn’t nearly as good but my stomach would have punished me for eating the good stuff. For dinner we went to our favorite Italian restaurant Sonny’s. We were so full from hotdogs that we didn’t eat dinner until 9. For dessert I made cupcakes that were yellow cupcakes with a brownie baked inside and peanut butter icing. I also made another treat that we inhaled and it is John’s favorite, it is like a caramel/candy popcorn with chocolate chips and coconut mixed in.
The next day John planned for us to have breakfast at Pipe’s where they ordered massive breakfast burritos. We also went to the farmers market and got some dinner veggies and breads. Then we headed to the beach where Alina attempted surfing. I am very proud of her considering I haven’t been above my knees in the water. She didn’t stand up but got very close. That night we had a big cookout and a few of John’s coworkers came. I made a couple new recipes that were big hits, hash brown casserole, sausage/cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, baked beans, and John was in charge of the meat. We finished off the night by watching the season finale of True Blood.
Unfortunately Monday John and I had to return to work so Eric and Alina headed to San Diego for the day. That night we had so many leftovers from the weekend that we had a meal of leftovers plus I made hot ham and swiss roles. I also tried a new salad idea. I took baby greens, strawberries, pecans, mozzarella, and bacon tossed together with a fat free raspberry pecan dressing and it was so good. We then took a trip to the local yogurt shop for some dessert.
Most of the weekend was filled with lots of football watching and I am totally burnt out on sports already. Eric and Alina headed out today for 3 days in Yosemite. Don’t worry I made a bomb diggity coffee cake for them to take on the road and John and I brought some to work. He is probably hiding his in his desk so he won’t have to share with his coworkers. I ate about 4 pieces after I baked it last night.
This week we meet a small group we signed up for at church so wish me luck, you know how I love meeting new people. It should be good for us to meet a few couples our age I just have to push past any shyness and make it happen. Get it done, right. Then Eric and Alina return Thursday night and we will restart our eating that John has already planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment