Thursday, January 28, 2010

The new job

So I have officially completed 4 days at my new job. I wasn’t to nervous going in to the first day because my boss seemed really nice and friendly (Lauren). I was shown to my cube. At Alltech it is all about appearances so I had probably the nicest cube you can get, my new job is more about cost savings so I am in a very basic cube. The problem is not so much with the greyness of the walls but with the layout of the cube. My computer screen faces right out in to the walkway and directly on the otherside of that walkway is the Controller’s office. So basically everything I have on my computer he could easily glance at. This is a big change from Alltech. He can also hear every word I speak. So even if I am able to avoid all the passer bys he will be right over my shoulder all the time. This is a big change from Alltech where I had every website at my disposal and no one ever looking at my computer. I could also carry on extended conversations on the phone with no worry that the boss my be listening in to my mom’s latest gossip. So I conceded that I would just have to be on my best behavior for awhile and give up my internet surfing and phone talking during work. Some of you might feel this is probably what I should be doing anyway but those of you thinking that must not have a desk job that involves staring at excel all day.
The first day comes and goes pretty quickly because I get to walk over to HR to fill out some papers and my bosses take me out to lunch on the peir. This was different than any other work lunch I have been on because we sat over the ocean to eat.
Then comes day 2. My boss doesn’t like to come in until around 8:30 and I can come anytime around then so I get in around 8:20. Well when you start a new job there is a learning curve and the only thing you can do to busy yourself are the couple things they start to give you. So boredom becomes an issue. I can resist no longer and I start quickly checking my personal emails. It makes me nervous but I can’t resist. I also start taking trips to the bathroom just to be able to make a phone call. Since there is only one stall you can’t hang out in there to long though, that could leave a weird first impression on people.
Then comes day 3. By this point I have tried access everyone of my regular online sites. Unfortunately they have some internet controls in the place and several sites are locked (facebook, blogspot, craigslist). Luckily emails are all good to go along with several other items I like to check on through out the week. Since I am always worried about getting caught there is no stress free web browsing. Usually I try to do it close to lunch time so it seems to be part of the lunch break. The Controller is out next week so that will be nice. Since blogspot is blocked I am typing this in an email and then I will send it to myself to paste in later, good thinking I know.
People mainly eat at their desk here for lunch but despite how loserish it might look I sit outside at a table and eat. It is also my prime phone talking time.
Overall I think I am really going to like the job and people, it is only the 4th day. Did I mention tomorrow is jeans day.
On a side note I think this whole California thing would be a lot better with my husband here so I will be so excited when he gets here next week. I am thinking we should take a Valentine’s drive to San Diego. I am so ready for my stuff and my husband to join me and the real fun to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment